Selecting your tracker
When you sign up for a fitness tracker based challenge, you’ll get a prompt on the game dashboard to connect your tracker. This needs to be done before your game starts and before you complete any activities.
You can find the tracker connection area by following the in game prompt or by visiting your account in the WayBetter app. To find your account, tap on your name in the lower right corner. Hit Trackers to see our supported tracker brands and connect yours.
Choose the tracker type you’d like to set up, then hit Connect. From there, you will be taken to your tracker’s website. Sign in and continue to follow their prompts.
Privacy and permissions
In order to connect with the app, you’ll need to grant WayBetter access to your fitness tracker. This creates a connection between your tracker and our game dashboard so your activity stats are automatically imported. You may receive prompts to share activities, location, heart rate or other stats with us. Say yes to all of these prompts to ensure a proper connection.
Permissions issues are one of the main sources of syncing trouble. If your activities don’t seem to be loading, double check that you’ve given us access. You can usually find this in your device’s privacy settings or in the account privacy settings of the tracking app or website you’re using.
Confirming your tracker is connected
When you’ve completed the steps above, it’s a great idea to double check your connection before starting your workout. You can see your connection status in the WayBetter game dashboard and in the Trackers section of your account. Tap on your name in the lower right corner to access your account page. The tracker you connected should be listed at the top. If it does not appear to be connected, check out our troubleshooting recommendations.
Tracking your activity
Like every body, every tracker is slightly different. That’s part of what makes them great! To start tracking your activity, take a look at the instructions for your specific tracker.
Tips for getting started with our approved trackers:
Please Note: Activities tracked by other apps or devices are not eligible, even if they can sync with one of these apps. We cannot accept manually added activities.
- A run tracked on a Samsung watch that is later added to Strava will not count
- A walk using Pedometer+ synced to Apple will not count
- Fitbit activities need to be tracked and synced directly to WayBetter (not through Apple)
- A Peloton activity syncing to Apple Health will not count
When it comes to accurately recording your activity, automatic settings are the enemy. Manually selecting your activity type makes it easier to get credit for the work you do and prevents accidental attribution for the wrong activity.
- Select your activity type before you begin
- Turn off the auto pause feature (learn more about pausing and pace here)
- Start and stop your workouts manually (auto-detected workouts will not count)
- Turn off auto-detect
- Set to open goal (if applicable)
- Turn off auto-lap (if applicable)
- Use the indoor run setting for treadmills (learn more about treadmills here)
- Calibrate your device (if applicable)